List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need some help with Dolphin
From:       Sebastian_Dörner <sebastian () sebastian-doerner ! de>
Date:       2012-06-11 23:20:54

I think the general way to do this is to write a strigi analyzer.
Strigi is a service running in the background indexing your files.
This information is stored in Nepomuk and that is where Dolphin gets
the information from. I guess that in theory the strigi analyzer could
fetch data from the internet as well. However, I am not an expert in
this area, so there might be some obstacles like (just guesses):

- strigi analyzer cannot / should not fetch from the network (probably
at least not without user consent)
- privacy implications of automatically retrieving meta data about all
the files on your HD

Things to search for:
- Shared Desktop Ontologies: These are used by Nepomuk. The meta data
would need to fit into the scheme, or the scheme extended.
- Strigi, Nepomuk
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Writing_file_analyzers

Hope that gives some starting points.

Regards