List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: create activity aware application
From:       David Narvaez <david.narvaez () computer ! org>
Date:       2012-05-03 16:56:03

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Weng Xuetian <wengxt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi kde world,
> Currently kde have activity that can easily stop and save session. But
> unfortunately there are several issue.
> 1. multi window but single-process application does not work with stop
> activity.
> For example konsole, if we have two konsole window in different
> activity, stop one activity will not stop konsole in the other
> acitivity.
> 2. application does not support save session.
> For example firefox, the window will remain in other activity and stay
> there.
>
> One of the problem is krunner search all window even in stopped
> activity. That might could be think as a bug though.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to make application activity aware from
> code level. That's to say, patch them, even only for KDE level would
> be great as first step, for example, rekonq and konsole and many other
> application will be able to benefit from activity. Is there any
> possible approach right now?

I implemented activity awareness in Rekonq a couple of months ago.
While working at it, I noticed that many activity-related behaviors
can be easily confused with bugs. For example, suppose an application
has 3 windows open in 3 different activities at logout, but does not
restore the 3 windows on session restore. Then, if you have a window
in one activity and you open a new window from that application, it
will probably be displayed in another activity and the user may think
the window was never opened at all. I gave a lot of thought to that
issue and finally concluded that incorrect session restore code should
be considered a bug in the application and not a bug in Activities
code.

> If not, should something like "KActivityAwareApplication" to be done
> in order to let developer easily implement this feature?

How would a "KActivityAwareApplication" be different from a
KApplication? Activity awareness depends very much on the specific
purpose of the application, I think.

David E. Narvaez