List:       kde-devel
Subject:    The problem with supporting Windows
From:       Pascal Bach <pasci.bach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-04-10 17:34:36

Hello Everybody

I read the blogpost from Sven about supporting Windows [1].
He mentions that one possibility would be that the Windows users would
pay someone to work on the Windows port. An I think that might be an
idea worth discussing.
I mean today we have crowd funding platforms and I believe this model
could be easily applied to KDE.

Let me explain.
If we want to release a version of a KDE Product the author or the
maintainer can create a project on a crowd funding platform that says
"Windows Support for XYZ 1.0" and set the price tag accordingly. Now
if enough users on windows are interested in this Software it will
reach the goal and a developer can be paid to do the windows  support.
We should think about a way that is simple for both the author and the
user, and also in a fashion that is consistent for all KDE Software.
While I was writing this mail I stumbled upon another post [2] and he
also mentions kickstarter as a way so maybe we should give it more
thought. Also the idea to use the various app stores to sell the
software might be a good way.

What do you think about this?

Regards
Pascal