List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating Java Swing with Oxygen
From:       Thom Castermans <thom.castermans () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-28 10:22:25

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all the feedback and positive replies.

Shantanu: a funny coincidence indeed :) We are trying our best to make
it as good-looking as possible. I am aware of the OOo/LO integration,
but they do not use KDE settings or rendering, AFAIK. Its more that it
looks 'a bit better', not as clumsy/ugly as it does without the
integration. Thanks anyway :)

Hugo: maybe I should have mentioned that too, but we are aware of the
GTK L&F and oxygen-gtk package. It definitely looks pretty good, but
we wanted to make it look even better. Not saying we are going to
succeed in that, but as said, we try. Anyway, its always good to try
and make it as straightforward as possible, right? So if it is not
necessary any more to use GTK, that's only good I think. I do know on
how many projects you are working :) I've been using Oxygen
Transparent for a while, which is beautiful! Furthermore I think I've
spotted 'some' lines you wrote in the Oxygen theme, right? Anyway,
thanks for giving us feedback, we appreciate it.

Alex: huge thanks for looking at our code! As I mentioned above, we
are definitely aware of the GTK L&F. I completely agree with you about
letting KDE render everything. The only real reason we are not doing
that right now is that we simply didn't/don't know how to get that to
work. And even if one gets it to work, it should be fast, since you
don't want a L&F to make a GUI slow (well, not slower than an average
Java GUI is at least), which is hard for infant C++ programmers I
suppose. We will certainly have a look at it though, certainly now we
have this small piece of code working for the text rendering. Then
again, thanks a lot for your feedback on our tiny piece of code, that
contains so many bugs apparently :) We have fixed most things you
mentioned (I believe Willem did yesterday, but I think he didn't
commit the changes yet), although I'm not sure if Willem already
managed to make the 'image copying process' faster already and if he
worked on the strings. He did say not creating a new QApplication on
every call made the drawing lots and lots faster already, so that's
good. In any case, the changes will be on Git soon and I think we are
going to let more components be drawn by KDE soon as well.

Thom