List:       kde-devel
Subject:    GSoC Idea : S.M.A.R.T. HDD health info and monitoring
From:       Anant Kamath <kamathanant () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-14 10:48:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,
I'm planning to apply to participate in GSoC this year.

I would like to implement a graphical KDE application and/or a KPart plugin
(or seperate dialog) for  S.M.A.R.T hard disk diagnostics and monitoring
using udisks, smartmontools, libatasmart and Solid
Currently there is a GUI for smartmontools in GTK (GSmartControl)
I would like to implement a similar idea in Qt for KDE

I want to create a  kpart plugin / dialog which can be used in kinfocenter
to display the HDD health along with the other info on hard disks already
being displayed, and also use it as a perhaps a plugin for dolphin

In addition to simply displaying the health/SMART info it would also have a
interface to schedule the health tests and configure notifications to be
displayed when imminent failure is detected, etc.

Please tell me what you think
Is this too 'small' or unambitious a project for GSoC ?

I initially started studying the Solid source/tutorials,etc. to prepare for
this idea :
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2012/Ideas#Project:_Easy_partitioning_in_Solid.2FDolphin,
 but was unsuccessful at understanding how/why an interface for
partitioning could be made a part of Solid. I came to understand Solid as a
framework to discover devices and get their properties, but not directly
manipulate them .. so how is having a partitioning interface as a part of
Solid justified?

--
Anant Kamath