List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC idea: improving scanning and OCR in KDE (skanlite/kooka)
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () iki ! fi>
Date:       2012-03-08 20:32:13

On Thursday 08 March 2012 08:52:44 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2012-03-07, K=E5re S=E4rs <kare.sars@iki.fi> wrote:
> > How do we go forward from here?
> =

> Put it on the wikipage, wait for KDE to be a gsoc approved organization,
> wait for official project submissions, get the student to submit the
> project. hope that KDE as a organization selects your project.
> =

> > Who is willing to mentor for an ORC library + plugins + ...?
> =

> My best guess for a great mentor for such a project would be someone
> with a iki.fi address with a firstname and a lastname of 4 letters, both
> containing some 'nordic' letters. :)
> =

Who might that be? ;)

> > What does a mentor do and how much time does it take?
> =

> a mentor answers questions from the student. A mentor ensures the
> student is on right track. A mentor fails or passes the project.
> A mentor does a lot of code review
> A mentor also ensures that the project plan is good and sane.
> =

> Mentoring, depending on student and the task, is probably 1-2 hours a
> day or something like that.
> =

> Fram my experience with santa, he is probably going to be one of the
> students who is going to be pretty light to mentor.
> =

That kind of time is unfortunately not something I have :( =

I am willing to answer questions and help, but I don't think I can take the =

mentor responsibility. =

Is there somebody out there with OCR experience (which I lack) that is will=
ing =

to take the mentoring? It would be a shame to let this opportunity pass.

Sorry,
  K=E5re