List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding development of an application for KDE
From:       Julian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=E4ume?= <julian () svg4all ! de>
Date:       2012-03-03 15:25:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

moin!

Am Mittwoch, 29. Februar 2012, 16:20:07 schrieb Atri Sharma:
> All the FOSS developers have a set of applications and tools which are
> needed regularly.Accessing them seperately can be time consuming.My system
> would give the developer a single GUI from where he/she can code,manage
> their task and bug lists,stay connected on IRC,manage their projects,access
> the repository,run diff/patch with a single click,set their status,manage
> their projects,access the terminal and many other features.

As already mentioned, integration is nice, but I wanted to add a few things.
In KDevelop it is already possible to manage projects in an integrated way.
When I read your suggestions, I didn't think as much about KDevelop, but
rather using activities to achieve these things you want to do. We are already
working on plasmoids for telepathy, that will help you starting a new
"conversation" (like irc or something) and manage your contacts (related to an
activity). Also, I guess, some day it would be possible to put certain streams
from akonadi (rss, mailing-lists, …) onto your desktop. This way you would do
all the meta-things, like communication and related stuff, using your activity
desktop. Everything related to code would be handled in KDevelop.

What I want to point out is, using KDE's technologies, it is possible to
achieve a great amount of integration. This integration is provided by the
workspace and the tools developed by KDE. So IMHO it would be far better to
implement the things, you are talking about, as reusable parts for the KDE SC,
so you can benefit from everywhere, not only in a single application (be it
KDevelop or any other).

Just my 2ct about this topic. That's what I like best about KDE's workspaces.
Everything is (supposed to be) nicely integrated by design :)

bye then
julian