List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding development of an application for KDE
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2012-02-29 21:03:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday, 2012-02-29, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 February 2012 16:20:07 Atri Sharma wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am Atri Sharma.I am a C++ developer.
> >
> > I had an application in mind which I believe can be implemented on KDE.
> >
> > All the FOSS developers have a set of applications and tools which are
> > needed regularly.Accessing them seperately can be time consuming.My
> > system would give the developer a single GUI from where he/she can
> > code,manage their task and bug lists,stay connected on IRC,manage their
> > projects,access the repository,run diff/patch with a single click,set
> > their status,manage their projects,access the terminal and many other
> > features.
>
> integration is nice and all, but please keep the usefulness in mind. an
> integrated irc client is really nothing I want to have in kdevelop, quite
> frankly... next someone wants an email client and we end up being emacs...

While I agree on not needing either IRC or mail interface built into KDevelop,
I can imagine tapping into instant messaging/email capabilities could create
interesting features.

For example assume that you access to KDE's committer list (I think there is
an Akonadi resource for that) and also access to Telepathy. The git/svn blame
view/annotation could display the respective committers IM availability.

Or sending the current diff as a patch email to the author or mailinglist the
code is associated with.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring