List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding development of an application for KDE
From:       Jacky Alcine <jacky.alcine () thesii ! org>
Date:       2012-02-29 18:49:08

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 February 2012 16:20:07 Atri Sharma wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am Atri Sharma.I am a C++ developer.
>>
>> I had an application in mind which I believe can be implemented on KDE.
>>
>> All the FOSS developers have a set of applications and tools which are
>> needed regularly.Accessing them seperately can be time consuming.My system
>> would give the developer a single GUI from where he/she can code,manage
>> their task and bug lists,stay connected on IRC,manage their projects,access
>> the repository,run diff/patch with a single click,set their status,manage
>> their projects,access the terminal and many other features.
>
> integration is nice and all, but please keep the usefulness in mind. an
> integrated irc client is really nothing I want to have in kdevelop, quite
> frankly... next someone wants an email client and we end up being emacs...
>
> Rather I think - assuming you want to contribute to kdevelop - you should
> think about integrating smaller utilities that are acutally useful in an
> integrated development IDE. Having a list of bugs would be useful. Some way to
> share meta data with developers, i.e. where their mailing lists are, what
> their irc channel is etc. pp.

I've been working on a plug-in that scans source code to populate the
Problems pane whenever it detects specific task-tags, similar to that
of Eclipse. I found it useful when developing Android applications,
and I would love it desperately in KDevelop.

Another nifty idea would be being able to link bugs directly in the
code. Using a simple template for URL, like
http://bug_url.org?index=%index, developers could just click and view
the bug in a browser (or in a KHTML window).

As for your meta-data idea, would it have to be like information about
the project specifically? If so, we could incorporate that into the
project file and build a plasmoid that shows that information.