List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Access indexing
From:       todd rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-21 12:57:03

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> wrote:
> On Thursday, 2012-02-16, Stephan Menzel wrote:
>> No, this wouldn't cut it. There's several reasons:
>>
>> 1)
>> Maybe I described confusingly. I want it to search for arbitrary
>> filenames (not just applications) and similar expressions _fast_.
>> Instantaneously, as the apple thing does. There must be indexing for
>> this. Also, besides filenames it shall display search results in meta
>> information as well.
>
> I think what Todd was trying to convey is that there is a KRunner plugin that
> does provide matches for the user input by querying Nepomuk and thus the
> indexing data gathered through Strigi.
>
> Your initial posting sounded like a permanent input field (i.e. not a popup
> like KRunner) and only displaying matches from the Nepomuk plugin (i.e. not
> interleaving those with matches from other plugins).

There is already a krunner plugin that provides a permanent input
field on the desktop or a panel.  However, it is not available from
standard KDE packages, it is only on kde-look.org (although some
distros do offer packages for it).  It may be possible to get such a
widget included in plasma-addons.

There may be ways within krunner to limit individual krunner
interfaces to one runner, or to setup the initial configuration that
way.

-Todd