List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Communication between C++ and QML
From:       Stefan Majewsky <stefan.majewsky () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-06-03 21:12:03

Hi,

I've been looking into QML again for kdegames. Some background: I
added a QDeclarativeImageProvider to feed images from libtagaro's
ThemeProvider into QML, and that mostly works (with an emphasis on
mostly; QTBUG-14900). Then I tried something more difficult: I wanted
to port a game from QML, and chose KNetwalk because it has its
algorithms split in an AbstractGrid class, which is subclassed for the
QGraphicsView representation.

Now as far as I understand the (IMHO surprisingly sparse)
QtDeclarative module documentation, the main gateway for transferring
information between C++ and QML is
declarativeView->engine()->rootContext()->setContextObject(). QML
retrieves data from the properties of this object and the subobjects
which it references, and invokes via JavaScript functions in this
object to propagate user input to the C++ layer.

Is this correct? If so, I get a feeling that it would require a
potentially epic amount of boilerplate to make my already
interface-agnostic data available to QML. Can I do anything to make
this task simpler?

Greetings
Stefan