List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Disabling Oxygen's window dragging for specific QWidgets?
From:       Michael Jansen <info () michael-jansen ! biz>
Date:       2011-05-17 13:27:59

> I do not claim that the splitter situation you mention is an example of
> great usability, but i do claim that you're fighting the wrong problem
> here.
> You simply should not run into misclicks. If it happens too often and it's
> not about your input device, than the UI element needs improvement, be it
> feedback or a bigger hit area.
> (You need to call Hugo/Nuno on the latter as well, so rather be kind ;-)
>
> > Before i could click them and nothing happened.
>
> Aha. And then why did you?
> You could do my washings if you feel bored, you know :-P

Just for your amusement i will quote myself. And i now guess i know where the
problem is.

> people like me who have to drive their mouse with their left hand
> because of propblems with the arm and back. I am righthanded which means i
> am a bit clumsy using it. You ignore that i told you i trigger that feature
> accidently.

You know there are people with disablities ... real disablities not
inconveniencies like me ...  that have difficulties to click precisely.

I will send them all to you for laundry.

> >> Now if i click them (They are close to ui elements supposed to click)
> >
> > they resize, move and umaximize my app at will.
>
> actually you do...
>
> Everything has an area close to an UI element supposed to be clicked.
> Once again: the issue is that you miss an interface you're after - not
> what happens as consequence of that.

Yes i am sure i do it by pure intention just so i can complain here.

> At least not a synonym for "BREAK code".
> The question to answer first here is however: "what is /this/ bug"

You break their code. They have to change their code to get rid of that
FEATURE. That is what i call break code.

> You did understand what i said about the difference of a real 3rd party
> induced regression and sth. that causes you personal trouble because of
> insufficient input handling?
> I fully agree that things should be fixed as much down as possible, and
> the fix here is clearly is to prevent you and everyone from running into
> misclicks.
> What if you actually wanted to resize a window, but miss the border and
> hit a really serious button below?

They usually are more than 1 pixel apart. Normally there is quite some space
between them. And then i usually get a dialog do you really want to in those
cases. I for one never had that problem.

> >> Is this targeted at me?
>
> This is targeted at anybody ("truism") but in this case might hit you. If
> you take uncertain information and defend them as your knowledge, you run
> into risks. That's it.

I said before Those are verified number taken out of bugzilla by toddrme who
btw is in favor of the feature.

I consider your input to the discussion the least helpful and other words i
won't quote here.

But i am gone now.

Mike