List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Disabling Oxygen's window dragging for specific QWidgets?
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-05-17 13:12:31

Am 17.05.2011, 14:47 Uhr, schrieb Michael Jansen <info@michael-jansen.biz>:

> So you do not consider it breaking the usability
That was NOT the criticized claim.
It was "Until  then you BREAK code" - a statement which has so far not
seen any proof.

> and take random 1 or 2 pixel wide rows/columns and turn them into a
> completly different thing they were before?
That implies that they've been sth. but dead space.
That would be a bug indeed, but it's not what you've pointed again and
again - or now.

I do not claim that the splitter situation you mention is an example of
great usability, but i do claim that you're fighting the wrong problem
here.
You simply should not run into misclicks. If it happens too often and it's
not about your input device, than the UI element needs improvement, be it
feedback or a bigger hit area.
(You need to call Hugo/Nuno on the latter as well, so rather be kind ;-)

> Before i could click them and nothing happened.
Aha. And then why did you?
You could do my washings if you feel bored, you know :-P

>> Now if i click them (They are close to ui elements supposed to click)
> they resize, move and umaximize my app at will.
actually you do...

Everything has an area close to an UI element supposed to be clicked.
Once again: the issue is that you miss an interface you're after - not
what happens as consequence of that.

> Because then we have a non dicussion and should instead discuss about
> what a bug is.
At least not a synonym for "BREAK code".
The question to answer first here is however: "what is /this/ bug"

>> If you can point to a case where oxygen breaks an application feature,
>> please name it.

> I named them. I consider it breaking apps.
You did understand what i said about the difference of a real 3rd party
induced regression and sth. that causes you personal trouble because of
insufficient input handling?
I fully agree that things should be fixed as much down as possible, and
the fix here is clearly is to prevent you and everyone from running into
misclicks.
What if you actually wanted to resize a window, but miss the border and
hit a really serious button below?

>>> b) rather do not operate with unbacked numbers.
>> Is this targeted at me?
This is targeted at anybody ("truism") but in this case might hit you. If
you take uncertain information and defend them as your knowledge, you run
into risks. That's it.

Cheers,
Thomas