List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Proposal of user input style global setting
From:       4ernov <4ernov () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-24 20:35:02

 Hello,

I've got a proposal about different user input styles e.g. touch input
devices and pointer/mouse input devices.

I think it's obvious that they differs considerably. As I can assume,
Qt and KDE move to be more touch-friendly. Due to MeeGo or something
else. And that's good. But sometimes it hurts mouse usability so much.
In some cases these two concepts are simply opposite.

I think the current way to find some common behavior fails as it
ignores strengths of each concepts. I think some kind of global
setting should be added to KDE to allow applications to know what
input style to use. And application is free to implement both or only
one by itself. This can keep all the strengths of one (current)
concept without sacrificing another. And user can always change the
desired behavior.

Just a couple of cases for now:
1. The feature that was introduced in Qt 4.7 - you can drag the window
clicking on unused area. Quite cool on touch devices. But the sense
unclear for mouse. I can always hit Alt and do the same if I want.
I'll do it on purpose this way. And now hundreds of errors every day
when you just clicked wrong or didn't pointed very well and the window
went the opposite display corner just by one click and minimal
movement. Personally me it disturbs very much.

2. Microblogging plasmoid. The list of messages uses kinetic
scrolling. Very good for touch devices. But I can't select any text of
message and copy it.

I hope this proposal can improve user experience and can make the
whole KDE ecosystem more user-friendly.