List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Project Proposal
From:       Anand Srivastava <linkinanand () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-27 7:28:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Jeffery MacEachern <j.maceachern@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 21:34, Anand Srivastava <linkinanand@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Respected Sir,
> > This is Anand Kumar. I've submitted my proposal for a project in GSoC at
> > KDE.Apart from that project I had some idea
> > that you might consider for developing under kde :-
> >     1. A Download Accelerator(KDac) :- It'll download any given link in
> > accelerated rate with the
> >          some extra features as in the Internet Download Manager. I've
> also
> > developed a prototype for it
> >          that you can see at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAe6ORt3Ec.
> >          Note:- It can either be build as a GUI for axel(Existing
> Download
> > Accelerator) or addition of feature for KGet.
> >     2. An FTP Client(KFtp) :- It'll be a GUI based FTP client with a very
> > easy to use feature like
> >          FireFTP add-on of firefox with additional drag from anywhere
> drop
> > anywhere feature (eg :-
> >          Any file & folder from anywhere can be dragged and dropped
> anywhere
> > (either from ftp server
> >          file to local system or from local file system to ftp server).
>
> Out of curiosity, how is this different than the functionality
> provided by KIO + Dolphin (or Konqueror, etc.)?
>
>  - Jeffery MacEachern
>
> > I'm searching for someone who can be my mentor for this project.
> > In case anyone interested please allow me to work under you in the GSoC
> > during summer.
> >
> > I'm very innovative , always willing to do some new work.I'm always
> trying
> > to learn & understand
> > new technology , in this process I've learned many things that I can
> apply
> > in the project.
> >
> > I've also been working on Qt (both in c++ & python) from last 2 years ,
> > therefore I've quite a well understanding
> > of what to do as I've already developed a prototype for
> project-1(Download
> > Accelerator).
> > I'm well aware of the problems & their solution. I've also studied
> various
> > RFC documents for FTP from
> > where I've gathered the working knowledge of ftp , therefore I'm quite
> sure
> > that I can do that.
> >
> > As I'm free for the entire summer I will be able to give 40 hrs of work
> per
> > week for the project.Also
> > I've no problem from working with mentor miles away.To track the work we
> can
> > communicate through
> > mails & google docs in which I will update the progress of the work that
> > mentor will be able to see
> > when he gets time.
> >
> > My native knowledge is not english but as my english is quite well it's
> not
> [...]

Hi Jeffery MacEachern ,
In KIO + Dolphin & Konqueror when we connect to ftp , we are able to browse
ftp and in case we are willing to browse local system we are required to
open another file browser. The KFtp that I'm proposing will have 2 file
browsers in parallel (Local file system & remote file system) & thus giving
the user a very easy to use interface (Allowing drag and drop between them
also).Also while downloading/uploading any folder(With multiple files in it)
, it'll create multiple connection & download/upload multiple files in
parallel.This will reduce the download/upload  time.

KDac is a download accelerator that will download but in the accelerated
rate i.e; it'll partition the remote file to be download in multiple part &
start downloading all of it in parallel , which will be faster than the
normal download.

-Anand Kumar
Developer at IIITA
-:linkinAnand.blogspot.com