List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Custom Shutdown Options
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2010-08-30 8:05:36

On Sunday 29 August 2010, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 09:03:29AM +0300, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Friday 27 August 2010, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > but i am worried about what happens when something goes wrong during
> > > the hibernation and the thing continues running at 100% cpu.
> >

> > You take out a really hot laptop from your bag. Been there, seen that,
> > my machine used to stop from time to time when hibernating, meaning it
> > didn't turn off itself. It survived the experiments. :)
> >

> sure. would you take bets by how little this has shortened the lifetime
> of the device? of the batteries?
> and the less lucky ones will indeed take out a really hot laptop from
> the bag ... a smoking hot one. regular li-ion batteries don't like
> mistreatment.
Well it has also happened to me, about half-an hour of 100% CPU in a bag,
quiet surprisingly it didn't trigger the overheating alarm and shutdown
itself... And I am quiet certain it did damage the computer, not the battery
though, but from that point the computer started to work poorly until the
mother board died (under warranty, pfiou). But, it happened on suspend-to-
ram...

The only problem I have with suspend-to-disk is that I have never managed to
make it work. It usually goes to sleep (on this computer it takes 10 minutes
to suspend to disk...), but I have never seen it restoring properly.

And that is the problem with linux, the hardware might advertise that it
supports a feature, but it will not advertise how well it is supported.

--
Cyrille Berger