List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: XBar development , asking for help when restoring top menu
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-08-25 11:20:44

On 25/08/2010 11:27, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 August 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 21, 2010, Aaron Lewis wrote:
>>> 	I'm currently working on a project, plasma-globalmenu , i tried source
>>>
>>> code from kde web svn interface , and found it buggy.
>>
>> great that you are working on this.
>>
>> Aurelien Gateau is working on a dbusmenu based global menubar as well; it
>> has the advantage of allowing the client (in this case plasma) do all the
>> painting, but the disadvantage of only working with apps that are patched
>> to use dbusmenu.

Another advantage of using dbusmenu is that a GTK+ app running on KDE
will get Qt menus.

Apps do not need to be patched. Toolkits need to be. So far Qt and GTK+
have been patched to support this. Some apps need to be patched though
because they do creative things with QMenuBar, for example using the
internal QMenuBar::setCornerWidget() method.

> as far i know, it looks likely dbusmenu  menubars -could- be merged in Qt 4.8
> (and this would be really great)
> I'm not aware on recent development tough.
> Aurelien, any updates on this?

Yes, the plan is to get this merged in Qt 4.8, but it hasn't been done
yet. Some refactoring is needed before it happens.

You can learn more about appmenu in general here:
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationMenu

And about the Qt/KDE implementation here:
-
http://agateau.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/getting-menus-out-of-application-windows/

-
http://agateau.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/getting-menus-out-of-application-windows-2/