List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt XRenderComposite question
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-15?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2010-07-21 15:55:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 09:44:32 Twister Rodriguez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope you could help with some code, which uses XRender XComposite and Qt.
> The reason I'm asking, is because, I've seen similar code in the KDE
> source, however, I can't make it work. May be you could help.
I cannot be really a help, because I hardly know anything about XRender. But
at least I can point you to some compositing source code. As you might know
KWin supports XRender compositing, so you can find some code in
trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kwin. Most important:
* scene_xrender.[h|cpp] - here the most important method should be
SceneXrender::Window::performPaint
* scene.[h|cpp] - provides some documentation
* lib/kwinxrenderutils.[h|cpp] - provide some functions which are used by
scene_xrender
* composite.cpp - some basic compositing related stuff

I would also recommend you to have a look on scene_opengl.[h|cpp] and think
about using OpenGL instead of XRender. In most cases you will achieve better
performance. It might also be easier to just render the window to an OpenGL
Framebuffer object and save that to disk. This could be done by writing a KWin
compositing effect - we are interested in that (for interaction with
KSnapshot).

For more questions I guess the kwin mailinglist might be a better place,

Regards
Martin Gräßlin