List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multiple sounds with phonon
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-16 22:29:00

On Thursday 17 June 2010 5:36:48 am Danilo Cesar wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava@kde.org> wrote:
> > cant do that in phonon, that's why the kde-games people are not using
> > it. when you send a 'play' command to phonon it will not work at the
> > same time, you can have unexpected delays ( small, but still it's a
> > delay ).
>
> Which library are they using?

KDE Games are discussing using Gluon's sound library when it eventuates.
It will be able to cache sounds.  I think Phonon opens a file for every
instance of a sound being emitted, at least with Xine backend.

ATM they are using Phonon mainly AFAIK.  My game, KGoldrunner, uses
KDE Phonon but should probably use Qt Phonon.  I am really confused
about that, so my response is do nothing ... like a rabbit in the headlights?

I found that fiddling with file formats could give better sound overlap
and response time in KGoldrunner, with Phono and Xine backend.  Short
sounds (footsteps, less than 0.2 sec) went better with *.wav and longer
sounds with *.ogg.

All the best, Ian W.