List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Implementing per-app windows labeling (titlebar and frame colors)
From:       Joanna Rutkowska <joanna () invisiblethingslab ! com>
Date:       2010-05-17 20:41:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 05/17/2010 08:27 PM, Thomas Lübking wrote:
>> But if you could set WM colors per window outside the deco, then you
> wouldn't be stuck using a certain deco
> This happens anyway. The decoration colors are _really_ set by the UI style
> (the client) via a property.
> As the properties are not write protected, this could be overriden by such
> AppVM or simply "xprop" anytime.

No, an AppVM *cannot* set or change the label (=color), because it has
no access to the X server in Dom0. Only the AppViewer app (that runs in
Dom0 and displays the contents of an app running in an AppVM) can
set/change the property. But everything that runs in Dom0, including
AppViewers, is trusted.

>> for a particular effect, and could stack effects. For example Joanna's
>> 'AppVM labeling', and another plugin to match the palette with the app,
>> like your screenshot (i.e. so Oxygen deco would use different base
>> colors for apps from different users and/or machines, to blend correctly).
> Yes. UI style would set TitleBase, the AppVM the TitleBlend and Frame colors.
> The only problem i'm aware of is the Font color. There's only one but you
> cannot predict whether it's more important to contrast the bar or the blend
> color (or crucial for both) - so we might require a second color for the text
> and the decoration than picks the proper one (or eg. a gradient) for painting.

Because of the above problem, i.e., how to nicely match the titlebar
color, the font color, and the AppViewer icon (we currently use a few
padlock icons in several different colors for different labels), because
of this I think it is better to simply have predefined color schemes.
So, I would not be telling the deco plugin to use color X = rgb(x,y,z),
but instead to use label from the predefined set of labels {0 =
LABEL_RED, 1 = LABEL_YELLOW, etc}.

joanna.