List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Implementing per-app windows labeling (titlebar and frame colors)
From:       Thomas =?utf-8?q?L=C3=BCbking?= <thomas.luebking () web ! de>
Date:       2010-05-17 18:27:36

Am Monday 17 May 2010 schrieben Sie:
> Yes, like that. But also, can it be done from a kwin plugin (assuming
> the style would accept the colors set that way)?
You mean like the decoration tells the client what colors to choose?
_Technically_ yes, but:
a) freaking around with the palette begs for trouble.
b) kwin would have to set a full palette w/o knowing the UI style details...

> That is what I am suggesting would be nice, a way to set the colors that is
"independent" of the decoration, though of course the decoration still has to
honor the colors set that way. I think this would be more flexible.
This sounds a little different.
KDecoration could be extended by wrappers for KDecorationOptions::color(),
::palette() that check for a client hint before passing the fallback. (This is
more or less what bespin does)
Existing decorations than just would have to use that functions instead the
KDecorationOptions variants directly.

> But if you could set WM colors per window outside the deco, then you
wouldn't be stuck using a certain deco
This happens anyway. The decoration colors are _really_ set by the UI style
(the client) via a property.
As the properties are not write protected, this could be overriden by such
AppVM or simply "xprop" anytime.
The decoration does not care where the information actually comes from.

> for a particular effect, and could stack effects. For example Joanna's
> 'AppVM labeling', and another plugin to match the palette with the app,
> like your screenshot (i.e. so Oxygen deco would use different base
> colors for apps from different users and/or machines, to blend correctly).
Yes. UI style would set TitleBase, the AppVM the TitleBlend and Frame colors.
The only problem i'm aware of is the Font color. There's only one but you
cannot predict whether it's more important to contrast the bar or the blend
color (or crucial for both) - so we might require a second color for the text
and the decoration than picks the proper one (or eg. a gradient) for painting.

Thomas