List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ftp clients
From:       Arnold Krille <kde () arnoldarts ! de>
Date:       2010-04-10 21:03:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Saturday 10 April 2010 21:19:47 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 10 April 2010 17:59:29 Arnold Krille wrote:
> > ftp is supported in konquerer/dolphin the same as file://, http://,
> > sftp:// and many more are. Its a kio-protocol. So actually any kde-app
> > will allow that in its file-dialog. Which allows to edit your website
> > directly on the server if you want that:-)
> >
> > If that ftp needs a authentication, it will ask for it. If you know the
> > user- name you want to use, enter the usual
> > clear-text history files on disk,
> so can you save bookmarks to include your username and password?  And does
>  it support uploading?  I expect that if you can store the name and
>  password the split window should allow uploading - I think?

Yes, both.

The urls saved for bookmarks contain the full string from konquerors
addressbar. If that contains the username and password, it it stored in the
bookmarks. But you shouldn't do that as it means that the password is stored
in clear-text on the disk. Better let konqueror ask for the authorization and
then let it store the password in kwallet. That way it hits the disk
encrypted.

And, yes, if you have the permission to write in that file/folder, ftp, sftp,
fish and many more allow to write/upload the same as file:/ does for local files.

Hint on the new ownCloud stuff: webdav:/ and webdavs:/ are protocols to access
the ownCloud read/write in any KDE app you are using.

Have fun,

Arnold