List:       kde-devel
Subject:    4.5 Release Schedule
From:       "toma" <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-04-09 19:42:24

Hi,

Short version:
A bit later than usual, the release team finalized the 4.5 release schedule. Find it \
here: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.5_Release_Schedule

Long version:
For those interested a bit more info about the changes compared to 4.4 schedule:

This cycle we saw that a beta1 and hard feature freeze at the same date was not \
optimal. People committing features last minute made packaging beta 1 a nightmare. \
I've now set the hard feature freeze 1 week before tagging.
This cycle we experimented a bit with a message freeze where typo fixes were allowed. \
We've now made it part of the release schedule by introducing a soft message freeze \
and a hard message freeze. See techbase page for details.
We also experimented with releasing rc's asap after tagging. This went pretty well, \
though innocent looking commits broke the tarballs. To prevent that, we've introduced \
a tagging freeze. This means 24h before tagging no commits other than build fixes \
should be committed. All other commits are not allowed (including showstoppers). \
Showstoppers should go through reviewboard, so we can determine if it is indeed a \
showstopper and if it is safe to commit in relation to all platforms we support.
Final problem we had this cycle was changing dependencies until late in the schedule. \
So we added a dependency freeze at the hard feature freeze time. People should by \
then know what they want to add as features for that cycle and think about the \
dependencies they need. During the dependency freeze it is not allowed to introduce \
new dependencies or raise the version of existing dependencies.

Per request of the bindings crew we introduced a soft and hard API-freeze. Within the \
soft API freeze it is possible to change the API, but you must cc the bindings \
people. After the hard API freeze it is not allowed to change the API.

For any questions about above, please mail the release-team mailinglist.

Best,

Tom Albers
Release Team Member