List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QtMultimedia, Phonon, tougths.
From:       Arno Rehn <kde-devel () arnorehn ! de>
Date:       2010-03-11 18:27:17

On Thursday 11 March 2010 16:59:37 Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> Recently I read that QtMultimedia is not using Phonon as backend,
> thus, probably reimplementing a lot of it.
> What is the 'official' kde view, to continue on phonon or move to
> QtMultimedia?
>
> KDE 4.6 will probably be based on Qt 4.7, so it's something to consider.
> Port Juk to QtMultimedia, maybe?
From the Qt docs:
"The QtMultimedia module provides low-level multimedia functionality."
and
"The functionality provided by the Phonon Module is on a higher level and in
many cases more suitable for application developers."

From what I've seen of the APIs, Phonon seems like the better choice for stuff
like audio players (take a look at
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qaudiooutput.html and the example. It's still
quite simple, but Phonon is even simpler).

I'm not quite sure about games, though. Depending on what you want to do,
using QtMultimedia or some framework like gstreamer or xine directly might
make more sense.

--
Arno Rehn
arno@arnorehn.de