List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KTipDialog deletes KTipDatabase in destuctor
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-01-11 18:31:11

On January 10, 2010, Stéphane MANKOWSKI wrote:
> So, I would like to have your opinion.
> Is it a bug or not ?

yes, that is a poorly designed API. we can't change the behavior of it now,
however, without causing memory leaks in all the other application that use it
currently. so i don't think we can adjust it now. i have added API
documentation to note that this is the case and when we next break binary
compatibility we can change this API to be more sensible (e.g. take the tip
database by reference and use a shared dptr to store the data; aka the classic
shallow-copy pattern we all know and love from elsewhere in Qt and KDE classes
:)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se