List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How I refresh a QTreeView if the model data changes?
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2009-12-31 17:59:16

On Wednesday 30 December 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> 2009/12/30 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org>:
> > On December 30, 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> >> Making a custom model is difficult - expect it to take half a year to
> >> get right.
> >
> > really depends on the complexity of the model and one's familiarity with
> > the concepts. there are also some nice tools in the Qt Labs site
> > somewhere that help test models. 6 months is a really pessimistic view;
> > i've hacked up models that work quite nicely in an hour or two and others
> > that i've spent quite a bit of time debugging. as with most things, the
> > trick is to keep it simple and don't do anything too silly. treating a
> > model as an interface to an existing data store and nothing more really
> > helps ime.
>
> I'm sorry, I should have qualified that as "for us mortals" :-)
I have found that if you use modeltest [1], "mortals" like us have a easier
time, it won't find all the mistakes, but it catches most of the common
mistakes. Using modeltest, I have divided by 10 the development time of my
models.

[1] http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Itemview/Modeltest
--
Cyrille Berger