On Wednesday 30 December 2009, John Tapsell wrote: > 2009/12/30 Aaron J. Seigo : > > On December 30, 2009, John Tapsell wrote: > >> Making a custom model is difficult - expect it to take half a year to > >> get right. > > > > really depends on the complexity of the model and one's familiarity with > > the concepts. there are also some nice tools in the Qt Labs site > > somewhere that help test models. 6 months is a really pessimistic view; > > i've hacked up models that work quite nicely in an hour or two and others > > that i've spent quite a bit of time debugging. as with most things, the > > trick is to keep it simple and don't do anything too silly. treating a > > model as an interface to an existing data store and nothing more really > > helps ime. > > I'm sorry, I should have qualified that as "for us mortals" :-) I have found that if you use modeltest [1], "mortals" like us have a easier time, it won't find all the mistakes, but it catches most of the common mistakes. Using modeltest, I have divided by 10 the development time of my models. [1] http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Itemview/Modeltest -- Cyrille Berger >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<