List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Writing a new view mode for dolphin
From:       Ryan McCoskrie <ryan.mccoskrie () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-14 21:05:23

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:34:03 Peter Penz wrote:
> Hello Ryan,
>
> > I've been trying to put a new view mode into dolphin for a while now and
> > I'm
> > having trouble telling exactly how much forward motion I'm making.
> >
> > Can some please tell me what the minimum set of additions are (i.e. are
> > configuration boxes necessary?) and how I'm meant to put it into the menu
> > of
> > view modes (something that I've failed to tell if I have done or not).
>
> A new view mode means quite a lot of maintainence time and efforts, so it
>  would be only integrated into Dolphin if there is a strong benefit for the
>  users in addition to the current view modes.
>
> So before talking about technical details: Which kind of view mode do you
>  want to add?

My Mum's a professional photographer and was furious to find the embeded
KView mode missing in KDE4. Gwenview[1] refuses to to deal with raw images
and Digikams upper limit for creating databases for directories (in practical
terms) is well below the total number of files she has. She has some other
gripes about Digikiam pushing file management policies she doesn't like but
I'll have to check with her about that.

Any way giving Dolphin a view for looking through large numbers of images
that includes rotate and resizing tools seemed to be the least intimidating
as well as most constructive and interesting when I started.

[1] For some reason the Gwenview code base reminds me of the Aztec temple in
the latest Idiana Jones. I'm not touching it for the moment.