List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KMid2 name
From:       Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-07 13:59:45

On Saturday, December 5, 2009, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> On Viernes 04 Diciembre 2009 19:59:50 Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas escribió:
> > On Friday, December 4, 2009, Markus wrote:
> > > Either the old KMid is still being worked on, then you should change
> > > the name to something completely different. Or it's a continuation,
> > > then you can keep the old name and bump the version number.
> > > And while strictly not required as the old KMid lived in KDE's SVN as
> > > well, out of kindness you should ask the original author if you can use
> > > the KMid name even though the old app may be unmaintained.
> > >
> > > Markus
> >
> > I've contacted with Antonio Larrosa privately by mail. I've asked him
> > about his approval. He answered me, also privately, that he has no
> > objections, and gave me his full support.
>
> Yes, Pedro contacted me and we talked about it. I don't have the time I
> would like to work in kmid, and I think Pedro has made a good work on
> kmid2, so it's a nice way to allow kmid to continue being "alive". I don't
> have any problem at all that he's using the name kmid2 for his application,
> and I fully support that it goes into kdemultimedia (when possible, of
> course, not in the middle of a freeze).
>
> Btw, if Pedro wants, I don't have any problem if he prefers to use the name
> kmid and bump the version number as Markus proposed instead of using kmid2.
> Both options are fine for me, but Pedro is the one who should choose what
> name to use (IMO).
>
> > I'm adding him to this conversation in the hope that he finds a little
> > time to answer and publicly state his position regarding the issues that
> > you have raised in your message.
>
> Done. Don't hesitate to ask me if you need anything else from me.
>
> Greetings,

Thank you very much, Antonio. I hope your message finally removes all doubts
about the matter.

I'm going to keep the name KMid2 for now, but maybe in the future I will drop
the ending digit. Not now, because practical reasons. The suffix allows an
user to install both versions at the same system, and keep web pages about
both versions at the same server, like freshmeat.net, without conflict.

I would like to put KMid2 in extragear instead of kdemultimedia, because it is
not really tied to the KDE SC release cycle. At this moment it can be
compiled and used with 4.2 and 4.3, and I hope it will remain this way. But I
may be persuaded otherwise, though.

Regards,
Pedro