List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE3 maintenance
From:       "Timothy Pearson" <kb9vqf () pearsoncomputing ! net>
Date:       2009-11-19 8:06:55

On Wed, November 18, 2009 5:49 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On November 18, 2009, Timothy Pearson wrote:
>> I am referring to this...
>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Karmic#KRandrTray
>>
>> Can't live without it now! :-)
>
> to point out what should be the obvious: complaining about "features not
> available in kde4" when you are adding such features to a kde3 version of
> the
> app is a chicken-and-egg problem.
>
> while continuing to work on kde3 is your own choice (and the choice of
> those
> who would join you) and i applaud your "get stuff done" attitude, it may
> be
> more useful to everyone if you tried pushing some of those "not in kde4
> features, but they are in my branch!" features upstream for kde4.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo
> humru othro a kohnu se

Hi all,

I will be placing the patches at http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/patches
for now.  As of tonight I have uploaded most of my kdebase patch files,
but more will be added for the rest of KDE3 as I extract them from the
Ubuntu source packages.

I do not use KDE4 as it does not suit my needs, so I cannot easily create
patches for it.  However, if anyone would like to adapt some of the KDE3
feature patches to KDE4 I wouldn't mind at all.

Do you think maintaining a separate branch, say, KDE3.6, but not
generating any new releases from it would be acceptable?  If a different
branch name would be preferred I am definitely open to suggestions--I
don't want to step on any toes here. :-)

I see an opportunity to "finish" the KDE3 desktop; i.e. add all those
bells and whistles that long-time KDE3 users have always wanted--nothing
more.

Thanks!

Tim