List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: screen management plasmoid for KDE 4.4?
From:       Björn_Ruberg <bjoern () ruberg-wegener ! de>
Date:       2009-11-16 9:03:02

On Montag 16 November 2009, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Alle lunedì 16 novembre 2009, Björn Ruberg ha scritto:
> > I wanted to have a much more user-friendly window in which you can
> >  configure your outputs and click on "Apply" when you are finished. That
> > is not possible with krandrtray.
> >
> > Moreover the plasmoid (will) allow to relayout the screen by dragging the
> > outputs around in the tabbar. Not possible in krandrtray too.
>
> So far, this is the system settings module, basically.

I wonder if you ever regularly used that module. For me it is painful to use
and simply does not work. Have to use xrandr instead.

> > The systemconfig has many problems. For example it loves to power off my
> > screen when I launch it.
>
> Worth some bugfixing, instead of rolling yet-another-(buggy)-solution for
>  the problem, I'd say.
> Also, Lubos Lunak did merge his changes to that module for KDE 4.4,
>  although I don't remember what they change/improve exactly. Lubos?

Well, that plasmoid is my contribution for this problem. Of course krandrtray
is worth some bugfixing - and the screen module too. But I cannot do that, so I
won't do. What I can do is writing and supporting a plasmoid - that's the
contribution to the problem I can do.
KDE 4 is mostly a rethink of KDE 3. But the tools for managing screens are
taken from KDE 3 wit not much change.
Moving that desktop management in a plasmoid is simply a new way.

> >  It is many clicks away and I cannot work with it as fast
> >  as I can with the plasmoid.
>
> - add a "screen configuration" menu item in krandrtray's popup which
>  launches the randr module?
> - make a double click in krandrtray's tray icon launch the randr module?

The later is not very intuitive for the user. Have I already told that
krandrtray always restores the last screen configuration when I launch it -
even if it is completly nonsense because the external screen from the last
session is gone?
That stuff is full of problems that makes it unuseable. At least for me - and I
don't think that I'm simply to stupid for using it.

> Also, leaving aside the UI talk, IMHO having two existing KDE solutions
> (krandrtray and kephal) and not using any of those is simply a no-no. Given
> that kephal is used in plasma and kwin, if it is "not working" then also
>  those central KDE components will be affected, thus fixing it would be the
>  right and logical thing to do.
> So, always IMHO, it shouldn't even be considered for inclusion until it
>  uses more KDE technologies (like kephal), as opposed to being just a
>  plasma toy around xrandr.

It uses Kephal for reading in information and I want it to use Kephal by 100%
as soon as I can actually change the screen resolution with it. Currently I've
found no way. So I hope to get fixes from the Kephal developer.
krandr itself does not use kephal. There are two different librarys for screen
management. Not good, I would say. So why don't rethinking the krandr stuff?