List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kubuntu asking for input
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jriddell () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2009-11-05 23:58:50

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 12:48:53PM +0100, Sebastian K?gler wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 November 2009 16:11:11 Harald Sitter wrote:
> > Of course it would be best if there was no need to patch, but
> > sometimes it is necessary, be it to get important bug fixes in before
> > release or to make the software behave better in the distro
> > environment. So please refrain from suggesting a no-patch policy ;)
>
> The single most annoying thing for me is when distros backport stuff behind the back
> of developers. That was the case for the networkmanager plasmoid in Kubuntu 9.04, and
> it was a total disaster. The thing was (is!) far from finished, it didn't work in
> many cases, didn't have any QA, had debug crap in its UI, and so on. When I asked why
> people didn't consult me, or Will before backporting and releasing it, the answer was
> "you would've said no anyway". Well d'oh. Just as an example.

You've said this before and it's a valid point, but at the time it was
the best KDE option and I'm quite sure the main developer was aware we
were using it (and I find it hard that you wouldn't be since you're on
our developer channel).  We could have stopped being a KDE
distribution and shipped Gnome bits, after all we ship non-free
drivers on the rationale that it allows use of the rest of the free
software we ship, but that causes notable problems too such as finding
space for it on the CD.  Fortunately we seem to be over the worst for
this case and other KDE 4 porting issues so I don't see it being a
repeat problem.

Jonathan