List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kubuntu asking for input
From:       Harald Sitter <sitter.harald () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-04 18:26:04

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Martin Gräßlin <kde@martin-graesslin.com> wrote:
> 5. Support: Kubuntu promises 18 month of support, but the repositories do not
> contain updates. KDE 4.2.4 for jaunty is only available in the backports
> repository. I do not consider a bugfix release as a backport. For intrepid KDE
> 4.2 was added to backports but it stopped at 4.2.2. If Kubuntu does not have
> the manpower to maintain that many releases, do not provide 18 months of
> support or activate your ppas by default. That is quite important as 10.04
> will be an LTS release. I think you help more users if you are honest and say
> we can't provide three years of support instead of having disappointed users
> because there bugs don't get fixed although the fix is available in upstream
> KDE.

There I have good news. We are currently drafting up a specification
to present to the Ubuntu technical board that will allow us to push
KDE bugfix releases to the update repsoitories (the usual Ubuntu
regulations would consider stuff that goes there to be
uber-non-invasive-tiny-patch changes, that disqualified KDE updates
for -updates before). So, more KDE update love to the users!

> That said I wish you good luck for your project and I hope you can get Kubuntu
> on the track again.

Thanks :)