List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "animations" in oxygen style
From:       Aleix Pol <aleixpol () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-10-23 17:33:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:00 AM, John Tapsell <johnflux@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/10/23 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org>:
> > On October 22, 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> >> I personally don't like the animations because it makes everything
> >> feel very 'heavy'.  E.g. if I hover over a scrollbar/button and there
> >> is a delay before it's glowing, I'm going to feel that the machine is
> >> being slow and unresponsive.
> >
> > this has everything to do with the style, framerate and speed of the
> > animation. animations done poorly make things feel heavy. animations done
> > right make things feel responsive.
>
> Usually I'd agree - for most animations 300ms is considered
> nearly-instant.  However this does not apply for clicking/hovering
> animations.  When typing on a keyboard, for example, a delay of a mere
> 100ms between touching and response is already considered to be felt
> as a very heavy keyboard.  60ms is tolerable, and most people prefer
> 30ms responses.
>
> I see no reason why the same doesn't apply here.  You need instant
> response and highlighting.  You can then animate something
> additionally on top if you wish, but the initial highlighting must be
> near instant (e.g. around 50ms).
>
> John

> unsubscribe <<

By responsiveness you mean that "something happens", it is not necessary
that everything happens. The eye just needs some feedback that what was
predicted happened. It's not the same as in keyboard responsiveness, because
you say that it feels slow if you press a key and _nothing_ happens for
50ms, but nothing is not the same as some-animation-started.

I don't think 200ms is too much.

Aleix