List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Kooka KDE4 now in SVN
From:       Eduard Huguet <eduardhc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-21 16:38:08

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:38:33 +0200
> From: Giovanni Venturi <giovanni@ksniffer.org>
> Subject: Re: Kooka KDE4 now in SVN
> To: kde-devel@kde.org
>
> If I've got some spare time I could try to give help for porting. I'm the
> Italian translator of Kooka when it was in KDE 3 :) . I used so much time
> that application.
> Sorry if I ask (I didn't followed all the thread) can you summerize in few
> words why don't help skanlite instead of backing back to life Kooka :) ?
>
> Giovanni

Well, I wouldn't like to start a discussion here, but the question is
also valid in the opposite way: I mean, ¿why create a new project
(Skanlite) instead of porting an old, excellent and reliable one like
Kooka?

Anyway, I made the proposal mainly because I'm very used to Kooka
(still currently using it under KDE4), and I didn't understand (and
still don't) the reasons for creating a brand new program for scanning
instead of porting the old one. And I though also it would be a good
way for me to introduce myself into KDE programming, which I'm
interested in, specifically in an area in which I have some technical
background.

After the initial proposal a number of ideas and questions have
arised, like unifying all scanning code into a single one library
(thus deprecating libkscan in favour of libksane), developing a kipi
plugin, etc... All them seem good ideas for me, but anyway an initial
KDE4 porting job of the existing Kooka code is in any case a good
idea. Once done, we can look for the better way to integrate the
different routines into a single library.

Regards,
  Eduard