List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Volunteering to port Kooka to KDE4
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-18 23:47:30

On Sunday 18 October 2009 20:26:10 Kåre Särs wrote:
> With Skanlite it should already be possible to scan from a document feeder
>  and auto-generate a name for each image (I do not own a scanner with an
>  ADF), but from this "settings for each selected scan region" I sounds like
>  something more advanced... I would be happy to hear more about what you
>  need. The coding sprint in November could be a good time for new features
>  ;)

My use case is fairly simple, but I'm sure fairly common.  I have 100 photos I
want to scan, so to speed things up I put 3 of them on the flatbed at the same
time, fire up the scan program and hit preview.  This gives me a preview of 3
photos.  I then select the first photo, click on auto-levels, and add it to
the batch list, and repeat that for the second and third photos, then click
scan.  The program then scans the 3 separate scan areas in a single pass of
the scan head at the individually selected levels.  Xsane used to have a
problem with this as it used the same brightness, contrast and gamma levels
for all 3 scan areas, I'm not sure if it is still an issue or not.

So each scan area on the batch list should be able to have all the settings
set independently, resolution, bit depth, brightness, etc, and you should be
able to edit the settings of all the existing items in the batch list before
you hit scan.  Would the batch list be the app or libksane?

While I think the levels are post-processing by the scan app (?), the
resolution and other sane level settings may not be possible either in a
single pass of the scan head or a single call to the Sane API?  So libksane
should be able to accept a list of scan areas with scan settings and be smart
enough to figure out the minimum number of calls to sane required to return
the required scans.  I guess overlapping scan areas would need the same
treatment?

And the real tough part, auto-select of the multiple scan areas.

No, not asking a lot really :-)

Cheers!

John.