List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO::put doesn't read reponse body (for http)?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-10-13 21:25:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Em Terça-feira 13. Outubro 2009, às 11.31.23, Stephan Kulow escreveu:
> Am Dienstag 13 Oktober 2009 schrieb David Faure:
> > On Monday 12 October 2009, you wrote:
> > > I wonder why the query string is cleared in the first place. This
> > > behavior was  introduced in commit 41107, which is about one million
> > > years ago, by dfaure with the commit message "cool stuff". Fortunately
> > > dfaure's commit messages are more descriptive now ;)
> > > David, any idea what you might have been thinking?
> >
> > LOL, there's no way I would have changed so much code with a comment like
> > "cool stuff" :-) Here's what it meant: this was the merge of the KIO
> > "make-it-cool" branch, as Coolo had named it. So this big commit is not
> > my code, I'm just the guy who merged the branch (in CVS, at the time).
> >
> > The strange thing is that I can't even find the make-it-cool branch in
> > http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/, I wonder what the cvs-svn
> > conversion did with it. Coolo, any idea?
>
> You won't see it in work/ as we only created work/ _after_ we migrated to
>  svn. Before that everything was just plain branches, we sorted them in
>  svn.
>
> To get an idea about the branches back then, look at:
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/?pathrev=41107
>
> I think, make_it_cool is a pretty problematic branch as it was used as name
> all over KDE history and cvs2svn can't really map that, possibly we even
> decided to get rid of all old development branches when converting, I can't
> tell by now.

Coolo's right. We imported all the branches in the cvs2svn step and then
sorted out. Most of the sorting out was "delete old branches", because cvs2svn
doesn't really know what to do with those old, common branch names.

If you want to see what the conversion created, look at SVN at commit 409201.
That's the last CVS-imported commit. The next 7 commits are cleanup in SVN
already. There's a further branch cleanup about 10000 commits down the line.

PS: we had lots of bad branch names, like make-it-cool, make_it_cool, make-it-
snow, etc. I really fought these branch names when we moved to Subversion,
forcing people to give a meaningful name.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009