List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storing images in KConfig keys
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-10-13 18:31:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On October 11, 2009, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Am Montag 12 Oktober 2009 00:42:41 schrieb Michael Pyne:
> > I'm going to assume that's there's no way to simply save out the binary
> >  data to disk and store a reference to the file name in your KConfig? :)
>
> The problem is that I'm using KConfig not as a storage file format, but as
>  an exchange file format. My two use-cases are:

this is the kind of thing that file systems and archive formats were designed
for. we use Plasma::Package (which is completely generic, btw, other than
mandating the use of zip or tar for archiving) to get around all these issues
without abusing things like KConfig for things they weren't designed for.

if linking against libplasma is a possibility for you, you could create a
simple PackageStructure definition and let Plasma::Package handle the rest for
you.

if you don't want to link against libplasma for whatever reason you could just
as easily copy those classes into your app (they haven't changed in quite a
while and have a stable API; don't expect much changes to happen there,
either) and go from there.

but if you are trying to send around a bundle of files, i really recommend
sending a bundle of files. think of being able to easily edit the contents
with an image editor, for instance.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se