List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storing images in KConfig keys
From:       Stefan Majewsky <majewsky () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-10-12 18:52:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Montag 12 Oktober 2009 20:19:36 schrieb Andreas Hartmetz:
> That said, using KConfig for bulk data storage is both inefficient and
> somewhat ugly. How much image data is there? A few kilobytes should be
>  okay.

It's about a small number of thumbnails, for example:

smajewsky@magrathea /home/smajewsky
$ du -h ~/.kde4/share/config/palapeli-libraryrc
60K     /home/smajewsky/.kde4/share/config/palapeli-libraryrc

Concerning the other use-case in Kolf, we have to load two 512x512 images, but
that's not the most expensive operation: We're calculating quite complex data
arrays from these images for 3D rendering and physics simulation. Reading the
image with KConfig should not be the problem.

Greetings
Stefan