List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: syntax highlighter component?
From:       Oszkar Ambrus <oszkar.ambrus () deri ! org>
Date:       2009-09-25 19:22:42

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> being easy to integrate.
>>

> perhaps take a look
> kdebase/workspace/plasma/desktop/shell/interactiveconsole.cpp .. it has both
> QTextEdit (though without syntax highlighting) and KPart usage. integration of
> each is pretty straight-forward.
>
> QTextEdit is indeed a bit quicker to get integrated, but that's mostly because
> of the good Qt API docs vs having to figure out a couple of things with the
> KTextEditor interface.

Thanks for the useful example! I don't mind having to figure out stuff
with KTextEditor,
because I'll probably use it instead of QTextEdit.
> having recently written something that uses a KDE text editor part when
> available but falls back to QTextEdit if it isn't, speed really isn't a
> concern. i wrote the QTextEdit bit first (since it was the fallback :) and
> then added the KParts bit. speed was not impacted noticeably and the editor
> area got a bunch of nice features like code folding and autocomplete.

I did something with QSyntaxHighlighting, and I managed to do it very
quickly,
because I only needed a few regular expressions.
But I'll probably also check out KateParts in the future, because it is
very useful,
when appropriately used.

Thanks a lot,
Oszkar

Oszkár Ambrus

"Whoever believes in the Son [Jesus Christ] has eternal life"
(John 3:36)

Masters Student, Digital Enterprise Research Institute, NUIG
[http://www.deri.ie]