List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma Question
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-24 8:33:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 24 September 2009 08:58:52 Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> I built KDE-4.3.0 on two PC's. It seems to me, that the standard initial
> desktop consists on the desktop itself, a panel, and a transparent
>  container on the desktop. I lost, I do not know how, this transparent
>  container in one of my machines, and I could up to now not reinstall it.
>  Can someone tell me how to do this ? Perhaps deleting something in the
>  configuration ? Thank you and sorry for such a silly question.
> Edgar

Edgar, this is a development list, and not the place for such questions.  I'll
answer here, but please subscribe to the kde-users list, at
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux where we can give you more
help.

First, the 'transparent container' sounds like a folder-view.  When you hover
over it you should see a 'handle' appear, with icons.  If this doesn't happen
your widgets may be locked, and you may need to right-click on the desktop to
unlock the widgets.  The spanner/wrench tool lets you configure the folderview
to show any directory where quick access is useful - in my case I use it for
remote directories.  The top icon can be dragged to re-size the folderview.
If you have no use at all for this you can delete it by hitting the X at the
bottom of the 'handle'.

UserBase has lots of information to help you settle in to the new desktop.  I
recommend that you start at http://userbase.kde.org/Configure_your_desktop

Anne