List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Commands of KDE4?
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2009-09-08 8:38:49

On Friday 04 of September 2009, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.09.2009, 17:40 -0700 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
> > Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm working on a KDE-Integration module for sawfish and need to now
> > > some things:
> > >
> > > - Is there an environment variable notifying us that KDE is running?
> >
> > This is not a simple question. :-|  It depends on what you mean by KDE
> > is running.  That is, KDE is only a collection of programs.
> >
> > Perhaps: "KDE_SESSION_UID" being set to the current USER will indicate
> > that a KDE session has been started.

 No. Search for KDE_FULL_SESSION in
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/startkde.cmake .

> > > - How to get the KSM session-prefix/session-id via command-line/getenv?
> >
> > Not sure exactly what you mean here.  There is no process named ksm.
> > There is ksmserver.  However, the process at the root of the process
> > tree for a KDE4 session is: kdeinit4.  However, the command: kdeinit4
> > can also be running when a KDE session does not exist.
>
> Usually sawfish get the sesision-prefix/id via the --sm-client-id and
> --sm-prefix. I just wanted to know, if KDE4 behaves the same way.

 This is only up to your application - when session saving, applications tell
the session manager the command to be used for restoring, and that's exactly
the command the session manager will use.

 You might be also interested in
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/runtime/kcontrol/componentchooser/windowmanagers/ -
KDE session manager has special support for launching window managers (in
order to ensure they are the first to be launched, etc.). The window manager
to be used by KDE is configured in systemsettings->Default applications and
such a file is needed to be listed there (needs to be installed in
<data>/ksmserver/windowmanagers, where <data> is from "kde4-config --path
data").

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer