List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to honor system toolbar settings
From:       Parker Coates <parker.coates () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-05 3:27:24

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 19:53, David Boosalis wrote:
> Parker. Concerning your point about XMLGuiWindow.  Ok forget speed, I
> just don't like making layouts with Designer or creating an XML file
> by hand.  A lot of people my love Designer,  I however am not one of
> the them. The layouts produced by Designer while adequate are second
> rate to doing them from an editor such as Vi or Emacs.  Having said
> that I hope KMainWindow will remain a first class citizen for KDE
> developers.

David,

I certainly respect your right to use whatever technology you want, so
I'm not trying to pressure you. Just convince you.

I think you've confused two entirely separate technologies. Designer
has nothing to do with XMLGUI. You can use either without the other.

Designer is a Qt technology that lets you graphically create widget
layouts, which are stored in an XML file which is then compiled to
real C++ at compile time. Some people like it, some people would
rather create their layouts themselves directly in C++. (I myself fall
into the second camp.)

XMLGUI is a KDE technology that adds fancy runtime mainwindow
functionality like shortcut configuration, toolbar configuration,
dynamic menus, statusbar handling, etc. It eases consistency, as
KStandardActions will automatically position themselves correctly in
the menus. The mainwindow configuration is stored and loaded from an
XML file.

Hope that was helpful,

Parker