List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: situation with window decorations
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-1?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2009-09-02 19:01:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Mittwoch 02 September 2009 19:56:02 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
> Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> > In fact "basic" and "advanced" also look a bit "dry" to me for a tab
> > title. Any suggestion ?
>
> Not at the moment, but will let you know if I think of anything.
>
> >> Oh, and I can't seem to set 'blend with window contents' as an
> >> exception. If I check it, it doesn't apply, and is unchecked when I
> >> re-edit the exception.
> >
> > ok. That's a bug. I can reproduce. Will fix and commit _now_.
>
> Thanks.
>
> >> Note that the Oxygen border already /has/ a size grip...
> >
> > Yep. Thats correct. In fact, i have this plan in mind: (comments
> > welcome). Instead of having a "draw size-grip: yes/no ?" I'd like a "draw
> > size-grip: yes/no/when needed", "when needed" being the default, an
> > meaning: the size grip is automatically drawn for windows with no
> > border, and no border only.
> >
> > Now one might even want to remove this option entirely (provided the
> > "when needed" behavior). But some applications (like firefox, or
> > quassel) already provide a size grip.
>
> Firefox doesn't, here.
>
> > Does that make sense ? Any comment ?
>
> Makes sense, no objections from me.

> >> Well it's Active Window Titlebar-colored, yes? ;-) But it needs to
> >> stay, either as an option, or always-on, or we're back to why Ozone
> >> got forked in the first place...
> >
> > Some confusion here (I think): the glow is the colored _shadow_ in
> > composite mode. It is in _oxygen_ without the title-bar coloring of
> > ozone. In oxygen it is on by default (Intended I think as a compromize
> > to ozone full painting, and I was asked multiple time on kde look to at
> > least make an option to disable it.
>
> To clarify, is this in any way related to the colored border in (at
> least) non-composite mode?
A little bit. The colored border is only painted when compositing is not
available to be a kind of replacement for the glow. So I think there should be
one option to disable both. And I really think there should be a way to
disable the glow as that is a regression in 4.3. In 4.2 the glow was
deactivated by deactivating the shadow effect. As decorations can paint their
own shadows it should be part of the decoration settings, now. Especially as
there are decorations which would simply ignore the settings from shadow
desktop effect (e.g. Aurorae will never have a feature to disable the
decoration shadow)

> > I think, to some extend, it should be kept independent from the title
> > bar coloring.
>
> Do you mean can turn it on/off independently, or doesn't use titlebar
>  color?
The question is if we want to have titlebar coloring. If we want it should be
an own option.