List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kbluetooth present, future and integration
From:       Kevin Ottens <ervin () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-01 19:59:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 1 September 2009 23:19:30 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> First of all, I'm so sorry if this email is not correct, I tried to reach
> tpatzig who is the current maintainer of kbluetooth before doing anything,
> but I had no success :/

Didn't get news from him in a while now. For the record kde-hardware-devel is
the list where we try to deal with this kind of things. Luckily I'm still on
kde-devel. :-)

> I'm starting to work on kbluetooth, adding small features which make the
> application more usable, and when doing it I wondered what kbluetooth lacks
> to be integrated in KDE (right now, we don't have any kind of bluetooth
> support). So I'm writing this email to: inform everybody what is the
> current situation, decide what would be the best way to integrate
> kbluetooth and of course to build the feature list together.
>
> Current situation highlight:
> -kbluetooth is living in playground, and afaik is unmaintained.

You probably want to also take a look at the bluetooth related classes and
backend in kdebase/workspace/solid. playground/network/kbluetooth4 depends on
those and they were also maintained by tpatzig (so yes they're lacking some
love at the moment).

> -kbluetooth is a set of utilities linked in a systray application, and is
> this application who allow the user to do almost everything he can want to
> do. -The kioslave is not working, it was ported to kde4 in a gsoc.
> -The implemented features are working quite well, at least I haven't any
> problem sending/receiving files, or using the lock feature.
>
> This are, in my opinion, the minimum features we should have before
> integrate it in kde (KDE 4.4):
> -kbluetooth application should be stable as a rock.
> -A KDED module who check if the user have or not BT devices. If he does,
> kbluetooth should be launched. Also will be aware of plug/unplug actions.
> -A send-> action in dolphinpart.

I fully agree with that.

> And finally, this is the full feature set I'd like to have (KDE 4.5):
> -Global KCM module to configure everything related to bluetooth.

Yep, at one point we should also think about an overall regarding the kcms
linked to Solid. We should synchronize and maybe try to have one KCM module to
deal with most of the hardware tasks.

> -Kioslave full working and added to places by default (to discover devices,
> browse it etc).

That would go as a pointer in remote:/ or to be integrated in network:/ I
think. I'm not fully sure what's the best approach is in this case (and I've
secretly toyed with the idea of killing remote:/ now that we've network:/
around which is much better).

> -kbluetooth application which allow to the user to do everything he wants
> to do with a couple of clicks.
> -KDED module to control the kbluetooth4 execution.
>
> About dates, have the minimum needed features for kde 4.4 is not a crazy
> idea, since kbluetooth itself is quite stable as I said before.

Yep, sounds like something doable.

> So, what are your thought about this topic? anything I'm missing?

Note that I'm coordinating for kdebase/workspace/solid, but I'm delegating
most of the work "per domain" appointing someone to maintain it. The bluetooth
parts have no maintainer right now. I hope that you're aware that with this
call to arm you just stepped up to be the new maintainer. :-)

Of course I'll provide all the help I can, in particular to find your way in
the architecture, and how we generally do stuff in the Solid land. :-)
I can't really deal with the bluetooth specifics or test as I've no bluetooth
device...

Welcome aboard!
And you probably want to hang on #solid (I see you're already there), and
subscribe to kde-hardware-devel now. ;-)

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."