List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Kbluetooth present, future and integration
From:       Alex Fiestas <alex () eyeos ! org>
Date:       2009-09-01 19:11:59

Hi everyone.
First of all, I'm so sorry if this email is not correct, I tried to reach
tpatzig who is the current maintainer of kbluetooth before doing anything, but
I had no success :/

I'm starting to work on kbluetooth, adding small features which make the
application more usable, and when doing it I wondered what kbluetooth lacks to
be integrated in KDE (right now, we don't have any kind of bluetooth support).
So I'm writing this email to: inform everybody what is the current situation,
decide what would be the best way to integrate kbluetooth and of course to
build the feature list together.

Current situation highlight:
-kbluetooth is living in playground, and afaik is unmaintained.
-kbluetooth is a set of utilities linked in a systray application, and is this
application who allow the user to do almost everything he can want to do.
-The kioslave is not working, it was ported to kde4 in a gsoc.
-The implemented features are working quite well, at least I haven't any
problem sending/receiving files, or using the lock feature.

This are, in my opinion, the minimum features we should have before integrate
it in kde (KDE 4.4):
-kbluetooth application should be stable as a rock.
-A KDED module who check if the user have or not BT devices. If he does,
kbluetooth should be launched. Also will be aware of plug/unplug actions.
-A send-> action in dolphinpart.

And finally, this is the full feature set I'd like to have (KDE 4.5):
-Global KCM module to configure everything related to bluetooth.
-Kioslave full working and added to places by default (to discover devices,
browse it etc).
-kbluetooth application which allow to the user to do everything he wants to
do with a couple of clicks.
-KDED module to control the kbluetooth4 execution.

About dates, have the minimum needed features for kde 4.4 is not a crazy idea,
since kbluetooth itself is quite stable as I said before.

So, what are your thought about this topic? anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

--
Alex Fiestas