List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       Matt Williams <matt () milliams ! com>
Date:       2009-08-04 21:22:50

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 22:12:27 Parker Coates wrote:
> I guess the moral of my fable is that a community can only really
> control the behaviour of its members if it has a means of punishing
> them. In a community like ours, shame is generally motivation enough.
> If during this conversation, say, dfaure where to show up and claim I
> was being unreasonable and rude, I'd be mortified. I would shut up
> immediately, think over my behaviour and be more cautious in the
> future, even if I still believed I was right. I'm not sure the same is
> true of your average user bitching about panel hiding in a blog
> comment.

On this point, particularly with respect to the developer community I
recommend anyone who hasn't already done so to read 'The Cathedral and the
Bazaar' [1] by Eric S. Raymond, especially the 'Homesteading the Noosphere'
essay within. It basically backs up what you just said but it's a very
interesting read.

Matt Williams
http://milliams.com

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/