List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-04 22:16:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 04 August 2009, Parker Coates wrote:
> Being a KDE contributor is like being part of a sports team. If a
> player behaves inappropriately, his teammates can call him on it. Even
> if he disagrees, he's likely change his behaviour to avoid losing face
> with the team. If he doesn't the team can take corrective action by
> letting him play less or kicking him off the team entirely.

the problem is that i'm expected to and am trying to work with these people.
they are not fans when they interact with me on bugs.kde.org, file something
on brainstorm or throw a list from a wiki at me, they are participants.

with a fan, you can just ignore them in the stands. they aren't on the
sidelines trying to coach you or get you warmed up to go back on the field.

now, if fans who have no responsibility or team connection happening are
allowed to participate, i guarantee you that many and probably even most
people who are part of the team will just leave that area.

imagine if fans were allowed down into the coach's box in a sports game?
mayhem! and players would go somewhere else.

now, i don't expect fans to get involved and participate and i'm just fine
handling them "out there" beyond the playing field. i did that for years
during kde3. but what's happened is that they've stepped on to the playing
field (we invited them to join us as members of the team) but are behaving
like fans and are tolerated as such.

so, i can say what does and doesn't work for a contributor, and the involved
user base can choose to ignore that. we will end up segregated more than ever.

or ... we can build systems that reward positive contribution and build team
spirit.

brainstorm is a nice start to that; it needs workflow improvements, but at
least it's collaborative, it's positive, it's easy for users to use and it
looks pretty. we need to improve things like brainstorm and see more systems
like it.

the fans can continue to crow from the stands beyond.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se