List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: kde4 speed tips - got any?
From:       Andrew Mason <slackmase2 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-13 0:53:50

Yeh i'm not saying it is easy to trackdown. I just wanted to point out
that there are real examples of where (for whatever reason) KDE4 isn't
as snappy as KDE3 to the end user. It's not just people's imagination.
Another one i noticed today was just clicking on the system tray icon
for amarok. KDE 3 ( my workstation at work) appears instantly, where
as my much more powerful KDE4 home computer still takes a few moments
for it to appear. (also not running oxygen)

I'm sure it will all get better eventually. KDE3 certainly got faster
every release. It's just that for some people, at the moment, no
matter how 'complete' kde4 is , it might not be fast enough on their
setup for what they do. Kdevelop on kde4 is quicker for me than kde3
so for what i do, KDE4 is more appropriate but everyones use case is
different.

Andrew