List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       Michael Pyne <mpyne () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-09 2:57:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 21:02:54 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Michael Pyne wrote:
> > 1024 bytes, until some point in the future when it's not in common usage
> > anymore and SI can take it back.
>
> ...and why do you object so strongly to that change in usage starting
> with KDE? It has to start /somewhere/, after all.

Because a) that isn't what it *means*, and b) it doesn't *have to* start
/anywhere/.  I mean, you say it like it would be some great accomplishment,
when all you can really expect is that KB goes away completely and KiB is used
everywhere.  I've counted a few people who actually do want powers-of-10 in
their file sizes but if you get what you want, then you'll simply never see KB
again, replaced for all eternity by KiB.

Using KiB is great, really it is.  I'm fine with using it in KDE, I'm fine
with it being the default even (default everywhere no less).

But that doesn't change the meaning of KB, no matter how many people may think
otherwise.  Even hard disk manufacturers have to put an asterisk on the box,
to this day.

As I have repeatedly said, once people use KB infrequently, if ever, then we
could make it (by default) refer to 1000 bytes.

Until then, Michel Partap has a patch to add the three possibilities I see
(use KiB, use 1024 byte KB, use 1000 byte KB).  I opposed the patch because I
didn't see (and still don't) the usefulness of decimal units for file sizes
but I've had several people claim to want the feature.  I've asked for a bug
to be opened to see if it's desired enough to add to the GUI, and until then I
support adding it as a hidden option (i.e. replacing my patch).

But my perspective on this whole discussion is something like this: Those who
want "real" metric-style kilobytes are essentially inventing a new unit.  It
would be nice of these people to name it like a new unit instead of stealing a
perfectly good, working unit name, in current use by millions around the
world.

How about we name it dkB (note the lowercase k), with equivalents all the way
up (dMB, dGB, dTB, etc.)?  That way people who really do want to see units in
powers of 10 can, with no uncertainty as to what units they are getting, and
those of us who just want to go on with our lives can continue to use KiB (or
its misspelling KB).

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne